Hong Kong Immigration Department

Visa Services for Foreigners and Passport Services for HK Local Residents

Hong Kong Immigration Department provides services to foreigners and Hong Kong (HK) local residents (and/or citizens). To foreigners, Hong Kong Immigration Service has the responsibilities to exercise immigration control and enforce laws.

Hong Kong Visas

The Hong Kong Immigration Department has a role to approve or reject Hong Kong visa applications that are submitted by foreigners (i.e. non Hong Kong permanent residents).

The types of HK visas for foreigners include:

  • Visitor visa for tourists who are to enter Hong Kong but not for employment purpose
    Work visa for professionals who have job offers from Hong Kong companies
    Training visa for professionals who are sent by their companies (i.e. employers) to attend training courses or sessions in Hong Kong
    Short term work visa for business persons to enter Hong Kong to take employment but for a relatively short period of time
    Investment work visa for entrepreneurs or business owners who are to undergo company incorporation in Hong Kong
    Dependant visa for spouse and/or children (of the person who is eligible to work in HK or has permanent residence in HK) to accompany the person and stay in Hong Kong
    Change of visa sponsorship for professionals who are working in Hong Kong, but are changing jobs (i.e. employers)
    Visa extension of stay for professionals whose work/employment visas are about to expire, and need to extend their visas to enable continuing working in Hong Kong

Local Hong Kong Residents

The services that are provided by Hong Kong Immigration Services to Hong Kong local residents include:

  • Issuing of Hong Kong (HKSAR) passports
    Issuing Hong Kong identity cards (HKID)
    Handling of nationality matters
    Registration of births, deaths and marriages
    Registering or denouncing of Chinese citizenship
    Naturalization of Hong Kong permanent residents who wish to become Chinese citizens (i.e. Right of Abode)

Physical Address and Opening Hours

An individual may visit the Hong Kong Immigration Department office In person at the information and Liaison Section. The physical address is:

2nd Floor Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong

The working/opening hours are:

Monday – Friday: 8:45 am - 4:30 pm

Saturday: 9:00 am - 11:30 am

Closed on all Sundays and public holidays

When a person needs to deliver a mail to the Hong Kong Immigration Department, he/she must ensure the mail items bear sufficient postage with return address before posting. Underpaid mail items will not be accepted by the Immigration Department of Hong Kong.

Watch Immigration Videos


Client References

Chris and Bonnie at Prism have been an absolute pleasure to work with. They clearly explained the application process, assisted in drafting necessary documents and were always available to address any questions or concerns. We couldn't have asked for better consultants.

testimonial 1
Cinar, Karazona

Director, Organic Modernism Limited

Make an appointment now!

Please provide a valid email address so we can schedule your free assessment.