Visa for De Facto Spouse

A de facto spouse, i.e. one without a formal marriage certificate, is not eligible for a dependant visa. A same gender spouse with marriage certificate in overseas, is also not eligible for a dependant visa. They can however apply for prolonged visitor visas. This allows for an extended stay but does not entail the same rights and benefits as a dependant visa. A de facto spouse cannot work or study without the prior permission of Immigration Department and is not eligible to apply for a right of abode after seven consecutive years in Hong Kong. The prolonged visitor visa holder is also not eligible to get a resident Hong Kong Identity Card.

To be successful in an application for extension of stay as a prolonged visitor, the holder of a prolonged visitor visa must provide the Immigration Department with proof of the reason for extending and proof of their financial status.

Prism’s Visa Consultant Service Involves:

  • Provide consultation service regarding to the documents required for the prolonged visitor visa application;
    Prepare a tailor-made document checklist for the applicant and the sponsor;
    Complete all necessary Hong Kong Immigration forms for the applicant;
    Review and organize the collected documents in favor of immigration policy;
    Suggest alternative documents if the applicant is not able to get the listed documents;
    Submit the application to Immigration Department;
    Reply on the applicant’s behalf to all enquiries and correspondence from Immigration Department;
    Prepare and draft all letters required for submission to Immigration Department;
    Monitor the application process;
    Keep the applicant updated on the status of the application;
    Accept the approval and have the visa delivered to the applicant.

Application Procedure:

  • [1.] Free consultation regarding to the prolonged visitor visa application;
    2. Advise the applicant on the alternatives and the likelihood of success;
    3. Obtain the applicant’s signature on the letter of engagement;
    4. Obtain deposit payment;
    5. Prepare a tailor-made document checklist for the application;
    6. Complete immigration forms, drafts and letters;
    7. Review the collected documents to ensure they are correctly presented;
    8. Draft all letters required for submission to Immigration Department;
    9. Submit the prolonged visitor visa application;
    10. Ongoing liaison with Immigration Department;
    11. Reply Immigration Department’s enquiries on the applicant’s behalf;
    12. Accept the visa approval and collect the visa label from Immigration Department;
    13. Deliver the prolonged visitor visa to the sponsor/applicant.

Documents Required:

  • An application form ID(E) 91 with the applicant’s signatures;
    An application form ID(E) 1003B with the applicant’s signatures;
    Copy of the applicant’s passport;
    Supporting documents to prove the long-term relationship with the de facto spouse.

Processing Time:

  • The visa application process normally takes 4 to 8 weeks from the date of submission.


  • A prolonged visitor visa holder is not entitled to get a HK Identity Card.
    A prolonged visitor visa extension will be granted at the discretion of Immigration Department. However, under normal circumstances without any changes on the relationship, Immigration Department will grant another six months.

Watch Latest Immigration Videos

Client's Testimonials

Have received professional and helpful consulting services from Prism. Especially appreciated the calm and clear guidance from Shamsa. She has helped us navigate a complicated and stressful Immigrations process. Highly recommended!

testimonial 1

Chad Rademan

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Decemeber 2023

Make an appointment now!

Please provide a valid email address so we can schedule your free assessment.