Foreign Domestic Helper Visa
It is very common to hire a domestic helper in Hong Kong. The employer should hold a valid visa (which excludes those on visitor visas) or should be a permanent resident, to apply for a foreign domestic helper visa for his/her maid.
A person holding a foreign domestic helper visa is only allowed to perform domestic duties from the following five broad categories: household chores; cooking; looking after aged persons in the household; baby-sitting and child-minding. If an individual employer has a genuine need for a domestic helper to perform driving duties, the employer must seek an exceptional permission from Immigration Department.
This visa is not valid for Chinese residents from Mainland China, Macau or Taiwan. Neither is it valid for nationals from Afghanistan, Albania, Cambodia, Cuba, Laos, North Korea, Nepal or Vietnam. Foreign Domestic Helpers are not allowed to bring in their dependants. Foreign nannies are not considered in the category of foreign domestic helpers, they should apply for normal work visas.
Prism’s Work Visa Consultant Service Involves:
Provide visa consultation service regarding to the documents required for foreign domestic helper visa application;
Prepare a tailor-made document checklist for the helper;
Complete all necessary Immigration forms for the helper;
Review and organize the collected documents in favor of immigration policy;
Suggest alternative documents if the applicant is not able to get the listed documents;
Submit the application to Immigration Department;
Reply all enquiry letters from Immigration Department on the helper's behalf;
Prepare and draft all letters required for submission to Immigration department;
Monitor the application process;
Keep the employer updated on the status of the application;
Accept the approval and have the visa label delivered to the employer.
Provide guidance on Hong Kong Identity Card application.
- 1. Free consultation regarding to the Domestic Helper visa application;
2. Advise the applicant on the alternatives and the likelihood of success;
3. Obtain the employer’s signature on the letter of engagement;
4. Obtain deposit payment;
5. Prepare a tailor-made document checklist for the application;
6. Complete immigration forms, drafts and letters;
7. Review the collected documents to ensure they are correctly presented;
8. Draft all letters required for submission to Immigration Department;
9. Ongoing liaison with Immigration Department;
10. Reply Immigration Department’s enquiries on the applicant’s behalf;
11. Accept the visa approval and collect the visa label from Immigration Department;
12. Deliver the visa to the employer;
13. Provide guidance on Hong Kong Identity Card application.
An application form ID(E) 988A and ID(E) 988B with relevant parts duly completed and signed;
Copy of the helper’s passport ;
Reference letter to prove that the helper has previous domestic helper experience;
The employer's financial proof.
The visa application process normally takes 8 to 16 weeks from date of submission.
The visa (for a first-time approval) is valid for a maximum of 24 months.
Even staying in Hong Kong for more than 7 years, domestic helpers are not eligible to apply for permanent residence.