Hong Kong ID Card

The Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID card) is an official identity document issued by the Immigration Department of Hong Kong. According to the Registration of Persons Ordinance (Cap. 177), all residents of age 11 or above who are living in Hong Kong for longer than 180 days must, within 30 days of either reaching the age of 11 or arriving in Hong Kong, register for an HKID card. HKID cards contain amongst others the name of the bearer in English, and if applicable in Chinese. The HKID card does not expire for the duration of residency in Hong Kong.

Generally speaking, there are two types of HKID card for adults (who reach age 18): Hong Kong Resident ID card and Hong Kong Permanent ID card.

Who Can You Get a HK ID Card?

Residents of Hong Kong are required to obtain an HKID card at the age of 11. Hong Kong residents over age 15 are required to carry legal identification with them at all times (that is, the HKID card). Residents of Hong Kong including persons who hold the following types of visa in Hong Kong, and visitor visa holders (i.e. foreigners) cannot get HKID cards.

  • Capital Investment Visa
    Investment Visa
    Employment Visa
    Training Visa
    Dependent Visa
    Student Visa
    Working Holiday Visa
    Domestic Helper Visa
    IANG Visa
    QMAS Visa

The Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card is issued to Hong Kong residents who have the right of abode (ROA) in Hong Kong.

How to Use the HKID Card at the Custom's e-Channels?

You can use the HKID card to go through the e-Channels at the custom in 3 steps.

Step 1: Remove your Hong Kong identity card from your card holder, and place your HKID card on the top-left corner of the document reader while the photo is facing down.

Step 2: When the e-Channel entry gate opens, take your card and walk through the gate into the e-Channel. Put your finger on the fingerprint reader and wait for verification.

Step 3: When the exit gate opens after your fingerprint is successfully verified, walk out the e-Channel.

Alternatively, the Hong Kong identity card can support a contact chip interface. Without directly using the document reader, you may insert your card into the card reader of the e-Channel for immigration clearance.

HKID Card Holder's Responsibilities

When you are out in the street in Hong Kong, make sure you carry your HKID card with you.

If your card is lost, destroyed, damaged or defaced, you must apply for a new card at a Registration of Persons Office within 14 days, or within 14 days of your return to Hong Kong (in the case when you were outside of HK).

You have your responsibility to protect your HKID card and keep it in a good condition.

  • You should keep your HKID card in protective holder.
    You must not bend the card.
    You must not put your HKID card in contact with a magnet.
    You should avoid placing your card together with keys, coins, or other sharp objects.
    You must not tamper the HKID card or remove the contact chip from the card.

HKID Card Improved Security

The smart HK ID card has improved security measures in order to combat forgery or fraud.

  • 1. Hologram with Wave and 3D Effect – When the HKID card is viewed from different angles, the image changes its color with wave and 3D relief effect.
    2. Tactile Relief – When holding the HKID card, your fingers can feel the positive tactile effect.
    3. Ink with optically variable properties – You can see the ink displays two different colors depending on the angle you are viewing it from.
    4. Rainbow printing - The combination of two colors enables rainbow printing i.e. colors changing gradually from left to right.
    5. See-through window – The Hong Kong Identity Card number is laser engraved on multiple layers of the see-through window, in between the front and back of the card.
    6. Multi-pattern background – The card’s multi-pattern background includes fine-line patterns and guilloche.
    7. Stereo Laser Image with portrait – The card shows a portrait of a second smaller photograph of the cardholder by the patent security feature of Stereo Laser Image.
    8. Full-color Image under UV - When the back of the new smart identity card is illuminated under UV light, you will see a full-color image of fireworks in Hong Kong and major buildings on it.
    9. Micro-printed text – It is a very tiny text printed on the card.

How to Read the Code in HKID Card?

How to read the code in HK ID card? (PDF)

Watch Latest Immigration Videos

Client's Testimonials

Have received professional and helpful consulting services from Prism. Especially appreciated the calm and clear guidance from Shamsa. She has helped us navigate a complicated and stressful Immigrations process. Highly recommended!

testimonial 1

Chad Rademan

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Decemeber 2023

Make an appointment now!

Please provide a valid email address so we can schedule your free assessment.