Student Visa

Foreign students accepted by recognized Hong Kong universities, private and local schools, can apply for Hong Kong student visas.

An application for a student visa may be favorably considered if:

  • The applicant is admitted to a private school registered under the Education Ordinance (Cap. 279) or Post Secondary Colleges Ordinance (Cap.320). Except for post-secondary education, entry for study in public or aided schools (other than English Schools Foundation Schools, ESF and Direct Subsidy Scheme Schools) is not permitted;
    An Applicant takes up studies in a full-time locally-accredited post-secondary program including short-term course or part-time locally-accredited taught postgraduate local program;
    An applicant is admitted on exchange in full-time locally-accredited local programs at sub-degree level for not more than 6 months or on exchange in full-time locally-accredited local or non-local program for not more than one year at undergraduate or above level; or
    An applicant is enrolled in a full-time course on the register of non-local higher education or professional courses as set up under the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance (Cap. 493);
    An applicant is from the age of 5 years and 8 months to 11 for primary education;
    An applicant is below the age of 20 for secondary education;
    The applicant holds a school acceptance letter to confirm that the applicant has been accepted for a course of study; and
    The applicant is able to meet the fees for the course, the living expenses for the applicant’s maintenance and accommodation without working and without recourse to public funds.

    This entry arrangement does not apply to:

    Chinese residents of Mainland of China and Taiwan;
    Former Mainland Chinese residents settled in Macao who were not settled there by January 14, 1979; and
    Nationals of Afghanistan, Cambodia, Cuba, Laos, North Korea, Nepal and Vietnam.

    However, Chinese residents of Mainland, Macao and Taiwan may apply for student visas to take up:

    Studies in full-time locally-accredited post-secondary local or non-local programs;
    Studies in part-time locally-accredited taught post-graduate local programs;
    Exchange in full-time locally-accredited local programs at sub-degree level for not more than 6 months or exchange in full-time locally-accredited local or non-local programs at undergraduate or above level for not more than one year; or
    Full time short-term studies is offered by Hong Kong higher education institutions with degree-awarding powers (excluding their continuing and professional education arms); and
    The cumulative duration of short-term studies taken up by any student should not exceed 180 days within any 12 months period.
    In addition, Chinese residents of the Mainland may also apply to attend secondary school level short-term exchange program approved by the Education Bureau of not more than 2 weeks, if accompanied by Mainland teachers.

Prism’s Visa Consultant Service Involves:

  • Provide visa consultation service regarding to the documents required for student visa application;
    Prepare a tailor-made document checklist for Hong Kong visa applicant and the sponsor;
    Complete all necessary Hong Kong Immigration forms for the applicant;
    Review and organize the collected documents in favor of immigration policy;
    Suggest alternative documents if the applicant is not able to get the listed documents;
    Submit the application to Immigration Department;
    Reply on the applicant’s behalf to all enquiries and correspondence from Immigration Department;
    Prepare and draft all letters required for submission to Immigration Department;
    Monitor the application process;
    Keep the applicant updated on the status of the application;
    Accept the approval and have the visa endorsed on the applicant’s passport and delivered to the applicant;
    Provide guidance on Hong Kong Identity Card application if the visa is valid more than 6 months.

Application Procedure:

  • 1. Free consultation regarding to the Hong Kong Student visa application;
    2. Advise the applicant and the sponsor on the alternatives and the likelihood of success;
    3. Obtain the sponsor’s signature on the letter of engagement;
    4. Obtain deposit payment;
    5. Prepare a tailor-made document checklist for the application;
    6. Complete immigration forms, drafts and letters;
    7. Review the collected documents to ensure they are correctly presented;
    8. Draft all letters required for submission to Immigration Department;
    9. Ongoing liaison with Immigration Department;
    10. Reply Immigration Department’s enquiries on the applicant’s behalf;
    11. Accept the visa approval and collect the visa label from Immigration Department;
    12. Deliver the Hong Kong visa to the sponsor;
    13. Provide guidance on Hong Kong Identity Card application if the visa is valid for more than six months.

Documents Required:

  • An application form ID(E) 995A with the applicant's signatures;
    An application form ID(E) 995B with the sponsor's signatures;
    Copy of the applicant’s passport (the personal particulars page);
    Copy of acceptance letter from the applicant's school;
    Supporting documents to prove the applicant has enough funds to live and study in Hong Kong.

Processing Time:

  • The Hong Kong student visa application process normally takes 4 to 6 weeks from the date of submission.


  • Student visa holders are not allowed to work unless getting a consent from Immigration Department.

Watch Latest Immigration Videos

Client's Testimonials

Have received professional and helpful consulting services from Prism. Especially appreciated the calm and clear guidance from Shamsa. She has helped us navigate a complicated and stressful Immigrations process. Highly recommended!

testimonial 1

Chad Rademan

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Decemeber 2023

Make an appointment now!

Please provide a valid email address so we can schedule your free assessment.