Change of Visa Status

A change of status visa application is required when an applicant changes his/her immigration status regardless the current work visa in Hong Kong is still valid or not.

A change of visa status might involve a dependant spouse divorcing and receiving a job offer or an employed person deciding to start his/her own business. In the first instance the applicant has to change from a dependant spouse visa for a work visa, and in the second, a work visa for an investment visa. However, the most common is changing from a visitor visa to a work visa.

Prism’s Visa Consultant Service Involves:

  • Provide visa consultation service regarding to the documents required for the appropriate visa application;
    Prepare a tailor-made document checklist for the applicant;
    Complete all necessary Immigration forms;
    Review and organize the collected documents in favor of immigration policy;
    Suggest alternative documents if the applicant is not able to get the listed documents;
    Submit the application to Immigration Department;
    Reply on the applicant’s behalf to all enquiries and correspondence from Immigration Department;
    Prepare and draft all letters required for submission to Immigration Department;
    Monitor the application process;
    Keep the applicant updated on the status of the application;
    Accept the approval and have the visa endorsed onto the applicant's passport.

Application Procedure:

  • 1. Free consultation regarding to the change of status visa application;
    2. Advise the applicant and the sponsoring company on their alternatives and the likelihood of success;
    3. Obtain the applicant/sponsoring company’s signature on the letter of engagement;
    4. Obtain deposit payment;
    5. Prepare a tailor-made document checklist for the application;
    6. Complete immigration forms, drafts and letters;
    7. Review the collected documents to ensure they are correctly presented;
    8. Draft all letters required for submission to Immigration Department;
    9. Ongoing liaison with Immigration Department;
    10. Reply Immigration Department’s enquiries on the applicant’s behalf;
    11. Accept the visa approval and have the visa label endorsed onto the applicant's passport.

Documents Required:

  • A Change of Status Visa application form ID(E) 91/990A/999A with the applicant’s signatures;
    A Change of Status Visa application form ID(E) 990B/999B with the sponsor's signatures;
    Copy of the applicant’s passport;
    Copy of the documents which fit to the change of visa status’ application.

Processing Time:

  • The visa application process normally takes 4 to 6 weeks from the date of submission.


  • At the discretion of Immigration Department, the visa is valid for 1 or 2 years.
  • No new visa label will be issued if the current visa label is valid for more than 9 months.
  • A change in status visa category does not alter the status of the applicant's Hong Kong Identity Card.

Watch Latest Immigration Videos

Client's Testimonials

Have received professional and helpful consulting services from Prism. Especially appreciated the calm and clear guidance from Shamsa. She has helped us navigate a complicated and stressful Immigrations process. Highly recommended!

testimonial 1

Chad Rademan

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Decemeber 2023

Make an appointment now!

Please provide a valid email address so we can schedule your free assessment.